Candidate for Deletion
Gnome Launch Box is a an application launcher. It's very influenced by Quicksilver for Mac OSX.
Launch Box is the result of a Hackathon at Imendio.
It's available in Universe repositories, since Hoary. Install it by searching for "Launch Box" in Synaptic or by running:
sudo apt-get install gnome-launch-box
Open the Configuration Editor under Applications > System Tools.
Go to /apps/metacity/global_keybindings.
Change the value of a run_command to a key combination.
Go to /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands.
Change the value of command_X (the one you haven choosen before) to gnome-launch-box.
You can start it up with the defined keyboard shortcut, or by pressing Alt+F2 and typing gnome-launch-box
- You are not supposed to click on anything.
- Just type and it will automatically search through your evolution contacts, programs and firefox bookmarks.
- Select one and press enter.
- With ESC you can exit.
- Gnome Launch Box disappears after starting an application.
- Starting it up again brings it back (it's using the same PID)!
Credits: Forum Thread