This is an older printer, and as such the other existing solutions for getting it to work with Ubuntu work only on older versions of Ubuntu (namely, feisty and edgy). This solution, which uses the Canon PIXMA iP1900 drivers, was tested on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail.
2. Install both packages:
sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-common_3.30-1.deb sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-ip1900series_3.00-1_i386.deb
3. Open Printer Configuration
4. Select your printer from the list and click "Forward"
5. Wait for the program to finish searching for drivers
6. Click "Provide PPD File"
7. Navigate to and select /usr/share/ppd/canonip1900.ppd
8. Click "Forward" and then name your printer (and add a description and location description if you like).
9. Click "Apply" and you're done!
Note: If you run into a "cups-insecure-filter" error or "pstocanonbj" error, try running the following command to change pstocanonbj's ownership to root:
sudo chown root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonbj