How To Install the Pixma iP1500 Printer
*Note: This will only work in Edgy and Feisty and these drivers will also work for the Pixus iP3100 / iP4100 / iP8600 and the Pixma iP1000. Just make sure that you pick the right driver for your printer.
1) You need to add this repository to your source list. Adding Repositories
deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/ubuntu ./
After you you do that you need to update your source list.
2) Next you need to install libcnbj-2.5, bjfilter-2.5, and the pstocanonbj packages.
3) Cupsys will be automatically restarted and you can select your printer in cupsys configuration which is CUPS Web Configuration or if you don't want to do that you can go to System>Administration>Printer>Add Printer.
Installing Printer through CUPS Web Configuration
First thing you do is click on add a printer. The next screen will ask you for the name of you printer, location, and description the only thing you really have to fill in is the name. After you done filling in the information click continue. The next page is asks you to select your printer which should be Canon iP1500 USB # (Canon iP1500). Hit continue and then it will ask you for your driver, select the Canon Pixma iP1500 Ver.2.50 (en) then click on add printer.
Install Printer through system-config-printer
1) Click on add printer, a new window will open up that says add a printer at the top and Step 1 of 3: Printer connection. As long as your printer is turned on it should show up in "Use a detected printer", if it doesn't you can select it in "Use another printer by speciying a port" and selecting Canon iP1500 USB # (Canon iP1500) then click forward.
2) The next page is where you select the printer driver. The manufacturer is Canon if it already isn't selected and the Driver is Pixma iP1500 Ver.2.50, then click forward.
3)Finally the next screen is the printer information you don't really have to worry about filling in the rest of the information if you don't want to just click "Apply" and now your iP1500 printer should show up under printers.