Ubuntu on the Lenovo IdeaPad S-series S10 and S12
The Lenovo Ideapad S10 and S12 are a type of ultra-portable computer called a "Netbook".
S12 is in the same class as the Samsung NC20 and the HP Pavilion dv2. Hardware may be one of three version: VIA platform, Intel platform and ION platform
- Everything not described here works out of the box
- Battery discharging information is not available in gnome-power-manager (unresolved for now, LP#669062)
Wireless: Install the proprietary driver, blacklist the module acer_wmi to fix the issue with wireless being disabled on every boot. (See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IdeaPadS/Fixes )
9.10 (Karmic Koala)
S12 VIA platform
- Processor: VIA Nano ULV 2250. Works perfectly, but in amd64 version of Ubuntu openssl needs patching to use padlock engine.
Video: VIA Chrome9 HC3. Works with openchrome driver from svn. It gives basic functionality and no 3D acceleration and no HD hardware decoding. A better solution for graphics is described in Samsung NC20 page. An easy guide on how to install it is given there. See: "Proprietary graphics driver" section. Allows 3D and HD video hardware decoding.
- Audio: VT1708/A (Intel HD audio with Realtek codec), built-in speakers and headphones work. Microphone is reported to work with Alsa of version 1.0.20 and above.
- Wireless: BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01) [id 4315] (low-power version of BCM4312). Requires proprietary driver, or free driver b43 from compat-wireless-2.6 (in Ubuntu it included in linux-backports-modules-karmic package) with firmware from proprietary driver. Works well.
- Special Keys and LEDs: Out of box doesn't work "One key recovery" button and "Quick start" button. Fn+F5 "Wireless toggle" doesn't seem to do anything. Others work great.
- Camera: built-in camera works.
9.10 Netbook Remix (Karmic Koala) (alpha)
S12 Intel platform
- Video: Intel 945GME: Works perfectly.
- Audio: built-in speakers and microphone work, others not tested yet.
- Wireless: requires proprietary drivers. Works well.
- Special Keys and LEDs: All work well!
- Camera: built-in camera works. Doesn't seem to work on live cd.
9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)
S12 VIA platform
Video: Works fine with the newest driver from Via linux portal
- Audio: Speakers and headphones work. Microphone works after alsa is updated
- Wireless: WLAN works well with proprietary STA driver. Bluetooth not tested
- Special keys and LEDs: Works well except for "Quick Start" and "Recovery" buttons.
- Camera: Built-in camera works
9.04 Netbook Remix (Jaunty Jackalope)
- Not tested
Please visit the IdeaPadS/Installation section first.
For a general set of fixes post-install, please check IdeaPadS/Fixes.
For tips and suggestions on getting the most out of your Ubuntu install on the AA1, please see IdeaPadS/Using.
The header and general design of this set of documentation (beginning with "IdeaPadS") was largely copied from the AA1 and EeePC documentation set.