MythTV is Free Open Source software digital video recorder (DVR). It is released under the GNU Public Licence (GPL).
MythTV's robust PVR functions allow you to do the following:
- View, pause, fast-forward and rewind live Television.
- Install multiple video capture cards to record more than one program at a time or use for picture-in-picture functions.
- Watch and record SDTV and HDTV via firewire if you have a firewire-enabled cable tuner or satellite tuner.
- Have multiple servers (called "backends" in MythTV parlance), each with multiple capture cards in them. All servers are centrally managed and all programs are scheduled by the Master backend.
- Run multiple clients (called "frontends" in MythTV parlance), each with a common view of all available programs. Each client can watch all programs recorded by any of the servers, assuming that they have the hardware capabilities to view the content; a low-powered frontend, for example, will not be able to watch HDTV. Clients can be diskless and controlled entirely by a remote control.
- Use combinations of standard analog capture cards, MPEG-2, MJPEG, DVB, HDTV, USB and firewire capture devices. With a firewire capable backend, MythTV can control a variety of set top boxes often found in digital cable and satellite TV systems.
Display Electronic Program Guide (EPG) Data. In North America this is downloaded from schedulesdirect.org (a non-profit organization) for a fee. This service directly replaces Zap2it's DataDirect service (which is no longer available), and provides MythTV almost two weeks of scheduling information. Program Guide Data in other countries is obtained using XMLTV. MythTV uses this information to create a schedule that maximizes the number of programs that can be recorded if you don't have enough tuners.
- Run a UPnP server. MythTV implements a UPNP server, so a UPNP client may automatically see content from your MythTV system. N.B.: this feature has not been verified to work on every available UPnP client.
Add plugins from the MythTV community that provide functionality for: DVDs, Personal Video Collection, Music, Weather, News, Gaming, Netflix and much, much more.
Installation and Configuration
MythTV has been in the multiverse repositories since Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake). It is also available as part of MythBuntu, a MythTV-focused Ubuntu variant.
Updated builds of MythTV are available via the mythbuntu repositories service at Auto-builds
If you would like to build yourself from source, it's recommended that you use the recipe at Mythbuntu recipes
MythTV Blog - Building a MythTV system from scratch