This page is a starting point toward a spec to be proposed at UDS Prague '08. Please use this page to list the mission critical items (and corresponding LP bug numbers) toward getting full support on the Asus EeePC.
Fixes For Inclusion
Fixes & updates which could be deployed in the main Ubuntu install.
Wrong UDMA mode due to error in 40/80 wire cable detection https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/195221
Ubuntu hangs at shutdown (snd-hda-intel) https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/126140
Wireless switch on Eee PC needs pciehp to work correctly https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/182490
EeePC internal microphone does not function out-of-the-box with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/232173
EeePC Volume and Wireless Hotkeys Do Not Function Out-Of-The-Box with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/232170
Transformations & tweaks which would be specific to subnotebooks - and would be extraneous to the main Ubuntu install - a transformation meta package could apply all these tweaks in one go.
- Sane defaults to maximise screen real estate in Gnome. Smaller fonts / One Panel / Gnome-Do
- Overclocking the 700 series processor.
- Minimise disk usage / recognize SSD on installation and apply tweaks (swappiness etc.)
- When vertical resolution is very low, you should be able to move windows above the taskbar by default (disable constrain Y in Compiz)
- There is no CD-drive. Hence, no need for Brasero/Sound-Juicer etc. to be installed by default.
- Reduce power consumption. Automatic processor scaling, Intel Powertop fixes etc.
- Boot time / Shutdown improvements?