Kubuntu 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS Upgrade
For upgrading from the most recent non-LTS release see PreciseUpgrades/Kubuntu
Upgrade to Kubuntu 12.04 LTS
LTS upgrade notifications will not appear until the first 12.04 maintenance release. If you want to upgrade early, you may do so manually. Instructions are found at the bottom of this page
1) Run KPackageKit and go to Software Updates, you will be offered a link to Upgrade to 12.04 LTS
2) Enter your password
3) The upgrade tool will start
4) It will confirm if you want to start the upgrade
5) It will download and install the new release, have some coffee
6) It may ask about conf file changes, click Replace to upgrade
7) It will ask to confirm removing obsolete packages, click Remove.
8) The last step of the entire process is to go ahead and reboot your machine.
Welcome to Kubuntu 12.04 LTS
If everything went smoothly after the upgrade and the reboot, your desktop should look like the following:
You might have to re-add the network management widget to the system tray. Right click on the up arrow and select "System Tray Settings": Then tick "Network Management"
To manually begin the upgrade process, first open KPackagekit, go to Settings, then click "Edit Software Sources". In the Updates tab, make sure that Long term support releases is checked. Next, open a terminal and enter the following command; do-release-upgrade -d to begin the upgrade process.