The intention of the page is to gather well-written answers to frequent questions from the Absolute Beginners Forum in an orderly fashion.
Suggestions are welcomed at Feature Requests
The Ubuntu Documentation Team has also looked into creating a FAQ section, you can see their initial list of Common Questions on this pdf document.
Also see CommonQuestions.
- Which version of Ubuntu should I use?
- Will Ubuntu run on my computer?
- What is the difference between the Desktop / Server / and alternate CD's?
- The "Desktop" CD is a "live CD" and boots Ubuntu without changing your hard drive. Use the desktop CD to test your hardware. To install Ubuntu click on the "install" icon on the desktop.
- The "Alternate" CD is a install CD (no "live" desktop) and is used if the Desktop fails. In addition the Alternate CD allows "advanced" features such as a minimal install, LVM, RAID, and encryption.
- The "Server" CD is also a installation CD and will set up LAMP. The server installation comes with no GUI (Graphical Interface).
- The "Minimal" CD is a minimal command line installation. It installs the base operating system and package manager with no GUI. This CD is not recommended for users with slow internet connections.
Install additional software
Any and all info that you might need on Installing Additional software unto Ubuntu can be found on this page.
Any and all questions you may have can be found here at the following page.
Command line skills